GBA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Series – Episode #2 – Understanding Your Workforce
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is a term often used in the workplace, but its meaning is often not well understood. People often mistakenly think that, with the creation of a diverse workplace, inclusion will automatically follow. Yet, inclusion should exist in tandem; it’s the climate where diversity thrives.
In this episode, we will be discussing the how other professions tackle diversity, equity, and inclusions within their organizations and the importance of understanding the needs of your workforce in relation to diversity and inclusion.
Cristina Bartolomei is an accomplished strategist, speaker, and facilitator, with over a decade of experience in affirmative employment, EEO, and D&I. She attributes her passion for civil rights, social action, and equality to her upbringing in Puerto Rico, where she developed a lifelong passion for social activism. She has channeled this passion throughout her career. As a first-generation professional, she also believes in her role in making civil service accessible for all.
In March 2021, Cristina joined the FDA as the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Senior Program Manager, tasked with managing short and long-term FDA-wide DEI initiatives and advising senior management on the development, enhancement, and implementation of projects, practices, and procedures to maintain an inclusive and effective diversity management program. Prior to joining the FDA, she was a Senior Specialist at the U.S. Department of Commerce, Office of Civil Rights, where she served as a key player in the development, implementation, and management of DEI programs and initiatives, which included the Inclusion is on US™ campaign and the First-Generation Professionals (FGP) Initiative – first-of-their-kind Federal initiatives promoting an organizational culture that respects, values, and engages all employees, regardless of their cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
Topics for discussion include:
- How to define Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- How to start formulation DEI initiative
- The importance of understanding your workforce
- Employee Satisfaction vs. Employee Engagement
- GEOSTRATA: The Pipeline to Diversity and Inclusion in the Geoprofessions
- Visit the GBA Website at https://www.geoprofessional.org for other training resources and reference materials and/or to become a member.
- Visit https://www.gbapodcast.com for future Podcast Episodes
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any podcast-related questions or comments
- Subscribe to the GBA Podcast https://www.gbapodcast.com/subscribe
This episode was produced by the following GBA Members: