#3 - Diversity Equity Inclusion - Allies in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
October 19th, 2021
56 mins 15 secs
About this Episode
GBA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Series – Episode #3 – Allies in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
In this episode of the DEI series, we will be discussing allies in diversity, equity, and inclusions. Allies can be essential to drive systemic improvements to workplace policies, practices, and culture. But what does it mean to be an ally? How can allies impact the recruitment process? What effect does allyship have on the retention of employees? And what can we do to create more allies?
Charlie Head, PE, PG Founding Principal / Sanborn, Head & Associates, Inc. [Link to Profile]
Charlie is a co-founder of Sanborn Head. He serves as the Chair of the company’s board of directors and oversees the implementation of the firm’s strategic plan.
Charlie actively steers initiatives related to the expansion of the firm’s services and markets. Charlie remains active in Sanborn Head’s professional practice, with particular emphasis on environmental assessment and remediation, including due diligence for clients globally. Charlie received his bachelor’s degree in geology from St. Lawrence University, a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from the University of New Hampshire, and a master’s degree in civil and groundwater engineering from Colorado State University.
For Charlie, the real thrill of working at Sanborn Head is the creative problem solving and collaboration that fosters deep relationships—among staff and with clients. In his current role, Charlie enjoys focusing on the growth and sustainability of the company and helping to create opportunities for the next generation.
Charlie is a Professional Engineer in Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, New Hampshire, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia; he is a Professional Geologist in New Hampshire.
Topics for discussion include:
- What does it mean to be an ally?
- Addressing the “leaky pipeline”.
- How DEI can affect the recruitment process.
- The effect an ally can have on the retention of employees.
- Recruiting more allies.
- Understanding and evaluating our own biases.
- DEI initiatives should go hand in hand with the recruitment process.
- There’s no shame in making mistakes.
- GEOSTRATA: The Pipeline to Diversity and Inclusion in the Geoprofessions
- Visit the GBA Website at https://www.geoprofessional.org for other training resources and reference materials and/or to become a member.
- Visit https://www.gbapodcast.com for future Podcast Episodes
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any podcast-related questions or comments
- Subscribe to the GBA Podcast https://www.gbapodcast.com/subscribe
This episode was produced by the following GBA Members:
- Veronica DeFreitas, PE (host) – Geotechnical Department Manager/Universal Engineering Sciences
- Ryan White, PE, GE – Principal Geotechnical Engineer/PBS Engineering and Environmental Inc.