GBA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Series – Episode #1 – Pipeline Into the Geoprofessions
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is a term often used in the workplace, but its meaning is often not well understood. People often mistakenly think that, with the creation of a diverse workplace, inclusion will automatically follow. Yet, inclusion should exist in tandem; it’s the climate where diversity thrives.
In this episode, we will be discussing the findings presented in the article titled: The Pipeline to Diversity and Inclusion in the Geoprofessions which was published in the 2020 November/December Edition of GeoStrata magazine. Focusing first on diversity reveals that the geosciences are the least diverse of all science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields in the U.S. (American Community Survey Report, National Center for Science & Engineering Statistics and U.S. Census).
DEI is a concept that affects all of us but it is important to recognize that it affects the bottom line. By limiting the talent pool and accepting high attrition rates from women and other minorities, the geoprofessions are exerting additional and wasted resources on hiring and training, and potentially missing out on growth, profitability, and innovation opportunities.
Topics for discussion include:
- U.S. Pipeline into the Geoprofessions
- Compensation Inequity
- GBA’s DEI Survey Results
- Why is Diversity and Inclusion Important?
- GEOSTRATA: The Pipeline to Diversity and Inclusion in the Geoprofessions
- Visit the GBA Website at https://www.geoprofessional.org for other training resources and reference materials and/or to become a member.
- Visit https://www.gbapodcast.com for future Podcast Episodes
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any podcast-related questions or comments
- Subscribe to the GBA Podcast https://www.gbapodcast.com/subscribe
This episode was produced by the following GBA Members: