#61 - Case History - Don't lie to yourself about the risk of small projects
February 9th, 2021
31 mins 33 secs
About this Episode
GBA Case History Series – Case History #61 - Don't lie to yourself about the risk of small projects
GBA has published over 100 case histories based on real-life events that have happened to geoprofessional firms. This episode in the series explores Case History #61, which stems from an environmental site assessment conducted as part of a property transfer, and that highlights the importance of strong contract language, report limitations, diligent information gathering, professional liability insurance, adequate training, and much more.
S. Andrew K. Batson, Esq., Corporate Counsel and Compliance Manager / Sanborn, Head & Associates, Inc. [Link to Profile]
Topics for discussion include:
- What are the technical concepts presented in this episode? [min. 2:00]
- What is the project background? [min. 4:13]
- What eventually went wrong that led to a lawsuit? [min. 6:40]
- How did the firm’s professional liability insurance play into this case? [min. 10:00]
- How did report limitations play an important role? [min. 13:59], [min. 19:02]
- What is the difference between standard of care and duty of care? [min. 14:50]
- What are some key lessons learned from this case history? [min. 20:47]
- Download Case History 61: https://www.geoprofessional.org/product/gba-case-history-no-61/
- Visit the following link to access all of GBA’s Case Histories: https://www.geoprofessional.org/gba-case-histories/
- An account is required to download the individual Case Histories, which are free for GBA Member Firms.
- Visit the GBA Website at https://www.geoprofessional.org for other training resources and reference materials and/or to become a member.
- Visit https://www.gbapodcast.com for future Podcast Episodes
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any podcast-related questions or comments
- Subscribe to the GBA Podcast https://www.gbapodcast.com/subscribe
This episode was produced by the following GBA Members:
- Jennifer Sanborn, PE (host) – Project Director/Sanborn, Head & Associates, Inc.
- Ryan White, PE, GE – Principal/Geotechnical Engineering Group Manger/PBS Engineering and Environmental Inc.
- Tiffany Vorhies, NACE CIP-2 – Chief Consultant/SME